The Kingsdown, Upper Stratton
Roger & Sally Waite
- 'secret' pub garden
- function room
- SKY Sports
- live jazz every month
- cask marked ales
A little bit of history...
The Kingsdown was Arkell's first pub, though the original building stood on the other side of Hyde Road which divides the current pub from the brewery.
The first Kingsdown was granted its full licence in 1847, a fact noted in the oldest surviving Minute Book of Swindon Magistrates Court.
When John Arkell needed to set up a new brewery in 1861 he decided to build it behind The Kingsdown and only six years later the rapidly expanding site swallowed up the pub, incorporating it into the brewery offices.
The new Kingsdown was built across the road and ironically its large car park is also across a road - in Kingsdown Road.
A £250,000 refurbishment in 1995, which included the addition of the attractive conservatory, and further updates as recent as 2017 have left The Kingsdown feeling roomy but still cosy. There is plenty to interest visitors inside, including a selection of photographs, memorabilia, artefacts and advertisements charting the history of both the pub and the brewery across the road.